20070629

A new post for the few of you I believe to be reading this sad but still burning ember of a blog.

Just today I asked Jeremy R. of Jeremy's Podcast what was so dark about the books of Peter Watts. The story goes that while speaking about various works of Hard SF and popular SF weapons Jeremy informed me of this Watts fellow who apparently has a trilogy which primarily takes place in some sort of underwater city near the shoulder of a volcanoe. To me it sounded much like a horrible adventure movie but I asked more about it. I was informed the material was so dark that the Russian government had the trilogy banned. It wasn't until this very evening when I finally asked what this dark material could be. As iturns out this city is inhabited by rapists, murderers and theifs. What a glorious concept. In fact it both suprised and encouraged me. For some time I have the idea for the Tri-System Collective to have a character by the name of Tibith to be a known rapist. Don't ask me why but I just felt like having the most unlikable character imaginable being used as an important plot device regarding UFO's in the main collective system being seen from an illegal telescope (I'll go more into detail about that later). This also encourages me because my other idea regarded a whole society connected to the collective who are like that of spanish royalty or any royalty for that matter only reveresed. You see the Morphalms would be divided amoung the inbred and the royal 1,600. The royal 1,600 would be a group of very well bred (and I mean diverse) individuals who are sperated from others because they are not inbred. I always thought it was nutty for royalty to inbred for you become deformed!

Well that is enough writing for this moment. I should inform you that due to my new found encouragment I plan over this very summer to complete a lengthy short story regarding TSC and the Morphalm inbred society under the title of Falidon's Whistle. Perhaps I will post it.

1 comment:

Jeremy Ruhland said...

Not a city, just a station. They put six sexual dysfunctionals together underwater and then make sure the gender ratio is balanced.