20070804

I don't care if there is a dinosaur on the cover with a telescope! I like it!

That is right I am reading part one of the Quintaglio Ascension Far-Seer. They are about dinosaurs which have been taken from earth 65 million years ago and rellocated on the earthlike moon of a enormous gas giant. This series is by famed canadian hard SF writer Robert J Sawyer and goes into great detail about how these evolved carnivours and the others have evolved and taken on civilized life. It deals with religion, speculation and my favorite of moons becoming rings around a planet. Although it may have a cover which will have you bolting away I assure you it is a good book to read. Normally I don't care for hard sf takes on satirical/allegorical subjects but the whole thing is somewhere in the time of Kepler and Martin Luther for the Quintaglios so it doesn't really bother me. The writing has been compared to the likes of Hal Clement and Larry Niven. It is quite apparent that Clement was an influence just on a worldbuilding standpoint but I'm not sure if the writing of Niven really stands up to Sawyer.

I have also found myself reading snipits of writing by James White and his Sector General books which have the most detailed accounts of E.T perhaps ever written.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.