20070816

My fear of Greg Bear.

I have always been afraid of the writing of Greg Bear.
It all started one day when I was talking to my friends dad Neil. We were evaluating his book collection and I noticed he had a lone novel by Greg Bear the title of which I cannot remember. I made mention to him that a few months prior that I had seen Bear at the Seattle Downtown Library where he was talking about the works of Mary Shelley with several other writers of the genre. He informed me that the one Bear book he owned was his only one worth reading for everything else written by him was schlock. Neil had many a bad thing to say about Bear's Foundation novel.

Ever since that day I have been fearful of the work of Greg Bear. I would have gone out to find his "good" book but could not recall the title. However slowly I have found a desire to read his works but have still found it difficult to pick which one to read. Blood Music, The Forge of God, Quantico there were to many to choose from. So it was today that I decided to purchase a used copy of Queen of Angels which is the first of a series dealing with Nanotechnology and a future L.A.

I am hoping it is better then Neil may think. If there is any other Greg Bear work I should read please do tell because I am more than willing to read it.

No comments: